Wednesday 22 August 2012

Adventure is out there!

It's been a while since I last wrote and since then a lot has happened. This summer has been a summer I will remember for ever. 

The first stop on mine and Lucas's travels was the lovely city Barcelona. We loved Barcelona because it was hot and the city was really fun. One of my favourite things about Barcelona was the Gothic Quarter. It had small side streets with tons of little shops. On our second last day we decided to rent bikes because we thought it would be fun to bike in the Gothic Quarter and make it easier to get to all the things we wanted to see. We had the bikes for 24 hours. We took the bikes out at night which we enjoyed a lot because it was nice and quiet. We biked all the way to the magic fountain that was supposed to be covered in lights but when we got there it was dark and very anti climatic. We ended up climbing up these stairs where we got to see a really nice view of the whole city. The one thing we wish we did more of was go to the beach. We went and sat by the beach a couple times but not as much as we wished. I find it hard to do everything you want when you have so much to see in a city but aren't there for long but we saw and did as much as we could so in the end our Barcelona adventure was a success!

Next stop was Krakow. We went to Krakow specifically to see Auschwitz. The first day we arrived it was 8pm. We found our Hostel and then walked to find something to eat and since we had to get up early for the Auschwitz tour we just hung out back at the hostel. In the morning we left for the Auschwitz at 8 am where we did a five hour tour which included the hour ride there and hour ride back so in total we had a 3 hour tour of the Auschwitz. The Auschwitz was very sad however I found the way the set up the museum to be very well done. After the tour we went back to the city where we were just going to relax and hangout so we weren't to tired for our long train ride in the morning but being young that didn't happen. We went out on a pub crawl that was run by 2 girls and 2 guys. Where we went to meet them was in the city centre of Krakow and it was the coolest city centre I have seen so far I only got to see it for a few hours and so it's definitely a place i'd like to go back to.  Anyways back to the pub crawl, on the pub crawl it ended up just being Lucas and I which was a lot of fun, it was so much fun the 12 hour train ride to Budapest the next morning was very interesting to say the least. 

Next stop Budapest. We arrived really late to Budapest so we found our hostel and just went to sleep. The next day we woke up and walked around the city which was very beautiful. The buildings that surround Budapest are so detailed and old but they have kept them all in good shape. It was very cheap in Budapest. We found an all you can eat buffet for 5 euros a person. Lucas was in heaven. Everyday he always ate there because it had pretty good food and you can beat 5 euros. I found it was more expensive to go to the bathroom then it was to buy a 1L bottle of water. My favourite part of Budapest was the Citadel. We walked up these stairs for a good 45 minutes i'd say and when you reach the top you get a 360 degree view of Budapest which was so very cool. Another thing i'd recommend doing if you go to Budapest is going to the bath houses and asking for a massage .... you will have quit the experience. To end our last night in Budapest we went on a Booze cruise along the Danube. They handed each person on the boat a full bottle of champagne ... long story short the next day was awful. I am never drinking champagne again. 

Next stop Amsterdam. We flew into Eindhoven where we caught a bus that took us to Amsterdam. The bus ride was about an hour. When we arrived in Amsterdam we got a hotel because we were tired of hostels and wanted to have a nice relaxing last weekend away. We thought getting a hotel would be hard but it was really easy and not that expensive. Our first night we just relaxed . On our second day we walked threw the canal streets and did the Heineken experience. We got to see how Heineken beer was made and we got a lot of free beer. Amsterdam I found to be so unique and pretty. It was a good place to end our trip. 

After two weeks of travelling we came back to Cologne where Lucas spent his last week. He hung out with me and the boys. We took the boys to the zoo and did a gondola ride across the Rhine which is Colognes main river. The boys grew to like Lucas very fast and enjoyed having him visit. They were just as sad as me when having to say good bye. 

Two weeks after Lucas left the family gave me four days off because they were going on a trip with the boys to see some friends. I decided to end my summer by going to Rome. I had never gone anywhere alone and so this was a good test for me. Rome is very cool because it is filled with so much history. I found myself walking so much because I wanted to see as much as possible. My favourite place to be was the Trevi Fountain at night. It was so pretty and peaceful although very busy. I could sit and watch the fountain for hours. I ended up meeting a girl in my hostel. We spent most of our time together which was nice and I enjoyed her company. I was so nervous to go alone but in the end it turned out to be a really fun time which makes my future of travelling alone something to look forward to. 

Summer, 

Thanks for being so great, I will see you next year! 

xo 



No comments:

Post a Comment